The treatment results in the branch in Cyprus
Four hundred and seventeen patients has passed the rehabilitation course in the period from August 28, 2014 by December 04, 2014. The total number of patients is as follows:
- Patients with cerebral palsy – 415
- Patients with the effects of toxic-hypoxic brain injury – 2
- Children under 18 years old – 351
- Patients over the age of 18 years old – 66
At 3.8% of the patients were observed dystonic form of cerebral palsy, at 96.2% – spastic form. Among the spastic forms predominant patients with spastic diplegia.
In-depth analysis of the treatment results by evaluating the basic life functions of disabled children has noted a positive dynamic in all treated children:
- Reduced muscle tone was observed in 369 patients (88.5%),
- In 48 patients (11.5%) muscle tone with the tendency to normalization.
- In 414 patients was noted increase of active and passive movements of the joints which is 99.3% of the total number of patients.
The quality of such children walk (with assistance for one or two hands, with an auxiliary means, independent walk) improved in 178 patients (42.68%) meaning: children began to walk more stable, to put the heel more down when walking, improved posture, increased a step length.
Among the important functions, that children first began to do during the treatment should be also noted the following:
- Improved head control – eleven patients;
- Start to crawl – one patient;
- Independently sit down and sit – four patients;
- To stand up and stand – eleven patients;
To walk with an auxiliary means – two patients;
To walk independently – six patients.
The important improvement in disabled children is improvement of manipulative hand function and self-care skills which were observed in 44.6% of treated children – fingers clenched into a fist has straightened out, improved holding of subjects, patients began to hold their own cup, a spoon, a pencil, a glass, began to use a spoon, fork, improved drawing skills, writing, dressing.
Moreover, improvements concerned not only the motor, but also the psycho and emotional and linguistic sphere. These improvements were observed in 38.6% of patients, namely:
- Children became more attentive, assiduous, concentrated, have become more understanding and interested in others, more contact in the children’s group;
- A pronunciation has improved, a vocabulary increased, began to speak with sentences.
The improvement of autonomic functions was noted, namely: salivation has reduced, blood circulation of feet has improved, and sleeping has improved (17.5%).
Only in 18 patients was a slight positive dynamic, in particular, muscle tone has decreased and active and passive movements have increased.